Thursday, July 22, 2010

Working Girl: Taco Bell

*Day 231*

When I turned 16, I thought I needed a summer job. So, I started looking around to see who was hiring. I ended up getting a job at Taco Bell. I don't have a ton of memories from there. I only worked there during the summer. I worked for a while after school started, but it interfered with my cross country schedule, so I quit.

The other kids that worked there called me "front counter girl". Because I usually worked the front counter. I took orders and such. If it wasn't busy I got to clean tables and trays or do dishes and fill drinks. I worked the drive up window sometimes. It wasn't much fun because the box you talked into was on a curve. It was hard for people to get close to it. Sometimes it was really hard to hear what they were saying. It was almost impossible to tell the difference between "beef" and "bean". And some people didn't like you to keep asking what they said.

My coach made fun of me. He told a story of when they were kids, and one of their friends worked at a fast food place. He said they went to the drive up window. When their friend came they had an orange crush that they shook up and opened on him. So, one day when I was working, he came through the drive through and asked for me. When I came to the window he gave me an orange crush. He didn't open it, but he might have shaken it.

And I got a discount on food I bought before or after my shift. Not bad for a first job.

3 comments:

  1. MMmmmmm.... Taco Bell.... is it sad I'm hungry for a taco now at 7:30 in the morning?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will not state the obvious! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applaud anyone who has at one time worked in the fast food world! And kudos to you for surviving it!

    ReplyDelete