Saturday, July 31, 2010

Canning

*Day 240*

Let canning season begin!
Finished 14 quarts of cherries today. (Thanks to help from Logan and Matt. It's awesome to have help with this. It makes it go by so much faster.) We also have beans and beets that are almost ready.


I'm not sure I'm ready for this. Canning takes a lot of time, and it can't wait. When the food is ready you have to do it or it will spoil. And it can make a huge mess. (It's my excuse for not mopping the floor. "It's just going to get dirty again, I'll wait until I'm done canning.") I have canning stuff all over my kitchen for months. But, I really like to be finished. The jars are pretty to look at. You have proof that you've done something. And, it's nice to have food to store. So, bring it on! I guess.

* Logan asked why it's called canning if we put the food in jars. He thinks it should be called "jarring".

3 comments:

  1. I always remembered going into Grandma Anhder's "pantry" in the basement of their house to get something she had "jarred." I loved that choke-cherry jelly and jam. I've never done it myself but hats off to you for carrying on with the great tradition. I'm sure like gardening the blessings are more in the experience than just in what you produce. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is full of sores from depitting those cherries. But at least I found out how many cherries I can stick in my mouth at one time. One talent from college hasn't been lost.

    ReplyDelete