Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sisters

*Day 234*

On Friday I went to a "family" funeral. I left Logan City with my sister Lynn. On our way I thought of my sister Sherry. I knew she was coming, but thought it wasn't worth it for her to go all by herself. I called to see if she wanted to go with us. She said my sister Renae was coming to get her, so we could all meet and go together. We climbed into Renae's mini van, and I started looking around. I realized that all of my sister's were together at one time..... without kids! (OK, Ty is a kid, but I'm not counting him. He's still nursing, so he had to be with his mom. But, he mostly slept, and never interrupted us.) I don't know when (if ever) was the last time this happened. So, it seemed like a special day. (Now, I have three wonderful sister-in-laws that I also love. I'm not trying to say that I'm glad they weren't there. But, this would probably have been one of those days when they feel like they don't fit in because we were sharing a lot of childhood memories about someone they have maybe never met. I love them and enjoy the time I have shared with each of them. And it would have been just as fun to have them there too.)

We went to the funeral. I won't bore you with too many details. Sometimes I feel bad after funerals. I sit there and I realize what neat people I'm privileged to be around. And I feel bad that I don't take full advantage of getting to know them better and learning more from them. I certainly learned a lot at this funeral. I'm still not sure how I feel about what I learned and the feelings the I had. But, I guess I knew that was an option going into it. But, like most funerals I've been to, it was a testimony building experience to think about life after death and the plan that our Heavenly Father has for us. And we got to visit with a couple of my cousins that I don't see very often. I hope they felt the love!

After the funeral, we went to the purple Turtle. It's a restaurant. It's sort of a landmark in Pleasant Grove. We used to always look for it on the way to my grandpa's house. I remember always wanting to go there when we went past. I'm not sure why it was so cool. It was just something different that we only saw when we went to grandpas. And it meant we were almost there. We got ice cream. I think that's all I've ever eaten at the Purple Turtle. It was delicious.


(I forgot to take my camera, of course. I really wanted a picture of the Purple Turtle. They had these pictures in the napkin holders at the restaurant. My sister's offered to take one for me. They're so sweet! I told them I was pretty sure I could find it online. I did! It's just really tiny.)

Then we drove back home. On the way we decided to go to Apollo Burger for lunch. (I know it seems a little backward, but that's what you can do when you don't have to be a good example to your kids!) On the drive we talked. Stay tuned for my Apollo Burger story that I had to share with my sisters. I have always loved watching my mom and her sisters. They are such neat people. I love their relationship. Sometimes we make fun of how crazy they can be together. But, it's fun to watch. They make jokes and laugh really hard, they relive childhood memories working out details between them, they discuss their kids and solve peoples problems, and anything else that comes up. But they have a good time together, and love each other. On the drive back, I felt like my mom and her sisters. And I was glad that we all had that example, and can giggle and be silly, and help each other with our parenting problems (or at least laugh at them), and love each other. I love my sisters. They each have taught me so many things and I know I can turn to them anytime and have their support and any help I need.


OK off that tangent. We went to lunch at Apollo Burger. Just being there brought on a whole bunch of giggles. (Stay tuned for the story of why.) We decided that we could share some fries and onion rings. I said I would order the onion rings with my sandwich. I felt bad for the guy at the counter. I really hope he didn't think we were laughing at him. It just sounded really funny when I ordered a philly cheese steak with no onions, and an order of onion rings.

Maybe it doesn't sound like a super exciting day, but I was glad to be able to spend time with sisters, and get ice cream. Oh, and talk about whatever. Going over bumps in the car, or what our kids are learning in school, or how they change when they start to get too old for mom, or anything else. I always have a good time talking with my sisters. I always leave feeling good and like trying to be a better person. I'm glad I got a day to spend to with my sisters. I'm glad that I have sisters (and sister-in-laws. I like to be with them too, and I learn a lot form them also. I'm not just saying that because I know some of you read this. I really mean it).

4 comments:

  1. I admire the relationship you have with your sisters... I love reading about it and I'm glad you had that time with them, even if it was for a sad occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do worry, I completely understand the special time spent with just sisters :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say you are lucky to have sisters... Matt plays both roles pretty good for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definatly felt the love! :) It was great to be with sisters.

    ReplyDelete