Thursday, July 8, 2010

Dinner Tonight

*Day 218*

I've been in a cooking funk lately. I was out of town for two weeks so I didn't really have to cook for my family. Then, when I was finally home, I was too tired to cook. Now I'm living in reality again, so I have to start making some healthy meals. Trouble is, I don't feel like cooking hot food when it's hot outside, and I want easy stuff to fix. I've had no ideas for dinner lately, and no desire to go back to my old standbys. So, I've been looking for some new ideas. Tonight we tried one. It was easy. It was fast. It didn't heat up the house. It was good. It's a keeper. Here's the recipe.

Strawberry Cashew Salad
1 pkg. Ramen noodles (any flavor)
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 teas. soy sauce
1/2 c. green onions (if you like that kind of thing)
1 c. cashews
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 Tbls. red wine vinegar
8 cups romaine lettuce
2 cups strawberries

Break up ramen noodles into bite size pieces. Saute noodles and cashews in butter until golden brown. Mix vinegar, oil, sugar and soy sauce to make dressing. Chop onion and strawberries. Toss all ingredients together.

We didn't have strawberries, which would have been so good with it. And of course I didn't use onions. I was sad because I had some spinach from the garden I was going to add and I totally forgot about it. Oh well, we still liked it. Logan already wants to pick lettuce from the garden to make it again. Hurray!

2 comments:

  1. Lettuce... from your garden... wwwhhhaaa! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate.. we have been eating way too much Taco Bell (love their $2 meals!!!) because I don't want to cook while it's so hot. I needed a good Salad recipe.. thanks!

    ReplyDelete