Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Parenting: Shut the Door

*Day 216*

We were talking the other day. And I was remembering a story from my childhood. I thought it was funny, so I'm going to share it. Maybe it can bring you inspiration or help you in your parenting at some point. I know that I have used this approach (or modified version) on Logan. Enjoy!

I don't remember all the exact details, but you'll get the main point.


We were home one night. My mom was working so just dad was there. I don't remember what happened, but I'm pretty sure it was Aaron. He got mad about something and went into his room and slammed the door. Now, my parents had taught us to take care of their house and respect others peoples property and stuff like that. My dad wasn't happy about him slamming the door. My dad my not have been able to hear anything that was murmured under your breath, but he can at least feel the door slam. And, like I said, he wasn't happy about it. So my dad went into my brothers room. He told my brother that he didn't like the way he shut his door. Then, he told him he wanted him to practice shutting his door the right way. My dad stood there and made him shut his door nicely ten times. My brother had a pretty sheepish look on his face while he did it. But, my favorite part was the tenth time he shut his door. My dad said, "I didn't like that last one, do it again." I don't think I've ever slammed a door. I think if my son ever does it, he will be practicing shutting his door the right way.

1 comment: