Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Roller Coaster

*Day 230*

OK, I've think I've put this off long enough. When Matt talked about doing this blog and writing down memories and such, this is the first memory that I thought of. It's one of my favorites. It's been told so often around my house that Matt now pretends like he was there too. I didn't want to write it first, that seemed too obvious. But, the time has come.


When I was a kid, we lived on an acre. It was awesome. We spent a lot of time outside playing and climbing trees. One day we were looking for something to do. We decided to build a roller coaster off of the garage. My dad had all these 2x8 planks that he used for his scaffolds when he did brick work. We took a couple of them and nailed them to the edge of the garage. The plan was to ride down them in the wagon. Lynn and Eric tried to get Sherry to go down and test it out. She refused. So they filled the wagon with bricks and sent it down. It hit the ground and flipped over. The roller coaster didn't work. So, we found this big piece of plastic, covered the boards with it and made a waterslide. We had lots of fun in the backyard.

*My mom never knew that we did this. When Lynn came home from college one summer, me and her were out taking a walk around the neighborhood. We stopped and were talking to one of our neighbors. For some reason we ended up telling her this story. A few weeks later my mom came home and asked about it because the neighbor had mentioned it to her. That was the first time she had heard it.

2 comments:

  1. How clever and creative you and your family was! That's funny that your mom only found out after hearing about this from a neighbor. I hope she wasn't upset with you... :)

    ReplyDelete