Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Birthday America and Jessica!

*Day 214*

Happy 4th of July! I'd just like to take this opportunity to say that I am grateful to live in this country. I'm thankful for the freedom I enjoy. I'm thankful the men and women who fought for the liberties which we now enjoy. I'm grateful for all those who are still fighting.

My niece was born on the fourth of July. So, I want to say happy birthday to Jessica. She is three years old today. My favorite thing about Jessica is the ways that she is not like her mom. (Don't get me wrong, I love her mom. I have to, we're surprisingly similar.) I love that I can get Jessica to do anything if I promise to paint her toenails. I knew that her mom would never paint her nails. I'm sure Lynn has never owned nail polish. I also knew that she didn't want to Jessica to be girly. So, as a good aunt, for Jessica's first birthday I painted her nails. I knew it would be hard to get away with and that Lynn wouldn't want me to. So, I painted them red and blue. Lynn was so into dressing Jessica patriotic that I would be able to get away with it only if it was red and blue. While I painted Jessica's nails for the first time, she sat so still and just stared at me. Lynn stood back cringing, tyring not to say anything or smack me as her little girl enjoyed every minute of it. I just laughed. Hahaha, I got away with it! Now Jessica will ask me to bring my fingernail polish over so I can paint her nails. I always happily oblige. And Lynn has come to realization that it's cute for her to have her nails painted, as long as she plays tee-ball too.


Jessica with her Tinkerbell cake. Another hard thing for her mom to swallow. She like Princesses! (You can't see her fingernails, but they are painted, red and blue. This year at her mother's request.)

No comments:

Post a Comment