Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ants!

*Day 174*


Yesterday in my blog I mentioned that I worked one summer with my Uncle Terry. He had a yard care business. I was working at Shopko full time, but when he needed extra help he would call me. I liked working with him. I really don't mind yard work. I like being outside. But talking about it reminded me of the time I was working with him and got fired. The only time in my life I've ever been fired.

We were doing some work for a lady. She had a lot of stuff she wanted us to do, so Terry took a whole crew of us up to her house. He divided us up to do different jobs around the yard. I was weeding in a flower bed by the driveway. The lady we were working for was standing in the driveway talking to someone who had come to visit her. I was just weeding away. Then I pulled up a weed and disrupted an ant colony. The ants came pouring out. I didn't really pay attention until they started biting me. When they started biting me I jumped up, shook them off, then moved over a little ways and started weeding a different area until they settled down. I don't think I was out of control or spent too much time not working. But, I guess the lady thought differently. We didn't finish all of the work at the house that day. Terry called a couple of days later to see if some of us could come and help him. He told us that I couldn't come. The lady had told him that she didn't want "the blond girl" to come back. Apparently, she wasn't impressed with the way I worked. The only thing we can think of is that she didn't like it when I stopped working when I got attacked by ants. Really! You don't even weed your own flower beds, you can't tell me that you would sit there and finish while ants were biting you! It made me feel better that Uncle Terry wasn't wasn't very happy about it, and felt really bad telling me I couldn't come. And that's how I got fired from a job.

1 comment:

  1. I love that "the blonde girl" is a running joke now in the family.

    ReplyDelete