Sunday, March 7, 2010

Happy Birthday Sherry!


*Day95*
Today is my older sister, Sherry's, birthday. I've been excited all week thinking about what to write in her blog. Now, I wouldn't say that I have a favorite sister. They are all great for different reasons. But, there have been times in my life that I've spent more time with one than others. That's given me a special bond with each of them that I treasure. (Hey, I guess there are benefits of being the middle child!)

Sherry was older than me. We were two years apart in school. It was her last year in middle and high school when it was my first year. That means that I didn't have to go to those intimidating places by myself. I had my sister. And she was nice enough to teach me the ropes and show me around and let me borrow her friends until I found some of my own. I was so glad during those years not to have be alone. And during my first year in High school Sherry did this thing for me that turned out to be a great thing. She left me at school. I didn't think it was that great at the time, but it turned out to be. I had wanted to join the cross country team, but was really scared to because I didn't know anyone. Sherry, being a great big sister, knew someone on the cross country team. She got her friend to take me and introduce me to coach. The coach was excited that I wanted to join the team. He told to come to practice that day, get my uniform and I could run at the meet the next day. Crazy. I had know idea what this cross country thing was all about, there was no way I was running in a race that next day. So, I decided that I would join the team the day after the race. But, I guess Sherry knew I needed to start because she left me at school that day and I had no choice but to go to practice. (What happened after that is a whole other set of blogs.) But, ultimately, I'm glad she did it.

I've also learned a lot of things from Sherry. Like how to be the favorite aunt. Logan has been going to his Aunt Lynn's for daycare everyday since he was 10 months old. He knows and loves Lynn. But, because we live far away, he doesn't see his other aunts (on my side) very much. When he started talking, his aunt Lynn taught him to answer the question, "Who's your favorite aunt?" He would say, "Aunt Lynn." When Logan was about two or three, we were going to Salt Lake to visit Sherry's family. Lynn quizzed Logan all week about who his favorite aunt was, just so he wouldn't forget. When he came back to Lynn's, and she asked who his favorite aunt was, Logan said, "Aunt Sherry." The look on her face was priceless. But Logan had a great time at Aunt Sherry's. Who knew that drinkable yogurt would win you that status? So I learned, that being an aunt is almost like being a grandparent. Especially if you're trying to get that all important "favorite" status. Sherry always had fun things for him, and treats. He didn't come home empty handed. Being favorite was a great thing to learn. I can't tell you how happy I felt the other day, as, while I was letting my niece, Jessica, eat as much cookie dough as she wanted while her mom as out of the room, she looked at me and said, "Aunt Tersty, you're my favorite aunt." Priceless. And without Sherry, I wouldn't even know that it mattered, or had the example to pull it off. Thanks Sherry!

I still love being around Sherry. She's just a hoot. I just think that someday I'll get together with my sisters, and our children will look at us like we are crazy. Just like we've done with my mom and her sisters. But, how awesome to be compared to those great ladies. And, I think that Sherry will be the ringleader.

Now I just have to share my funny Sherry story. All us girls came up to Utah State to visit Lynn when she was in college. We had done some partying and stayed up late. We were laying in Lynn's dorm going to sleep. We were talking about getting rid of things we didn't use to make more space. We must have talking about things we could get rid of. We all thought Sherry was asleep, when she suddenly joined the conversation by suggesting that she get rid of her Library card. She said, "Well, I never use it." I see the point it that, but I'm not sure how getting rid of your library card will give you more room. Oh, well.

I love Sherry. I still learn a lot from her. I'm thankful for the example of a loving wife and mother that she sets for me. Happy Birthday Sherry!


Me and Sherry before our dance recital. Sherry rebelled and told mom she didn't want to take dance anymore. We all followed suit. Thanks Sherry!


Sherry being a wonderful aunt, and lovingly helping to pose the children for a picture.


Sherry and her beautiful family.

*I asked Matt if it would be mean to post the picture of Sherry with her birthday cake (at the top). He said yes, but that's what sisters are for. So, sorry about that. I'm sure you can find some of me to rival it. Oh, and Sherry, let Jason know that I have a great pic for his birthday.

2 comments:

  1. That was a very sweet tribute.

    Also, I'm starting to get a little worried as to what picture you are going to post of me on my birthday. I think I should get to pre-approve it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry sounds awesome!!! Hope she had a great birthday!!

    ReplyDelete