Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Great Easter Egg Hunt

*Day 116*
Me and Logan went to Salt Lake this weekend to visit family. On Saturday we went to an Easter egg hunt. There was a free Easter egg hunt at This is The Place Heritage State Park. Grandma thought it would be fun to take the grandkids. So, we picked up my sisters kids and headed up town. We planned to be there early so we could get a parking spot. We also knew that there would probably be a lot of people there and if we weren't there when the hunt started, that we would miss it. But, we were, of course, running behind. There were a lot of people in the same situation. As we were walking in the gates the lady was telling us that they weren't going to start until everyone was in. They had different areas for different age groups. We headed to our areas. We got there right as they shot the starting gun. And about that quick it was all over. Logan found one egg. He was the only one out of the four kids we brought that found one. (Thanks for the help, mom!) He was still disappointed that he didn't get more. We knew that this might be the case and had a backup plan. We figured that if no one got any prizes we could go for ice cream or something after to ease the disappointment. There were also some crafts, pictures with the Easter bunny and cotton candy and popcorn. And we took a train ride. The kids had a good time together.

For me it was another opportunity to see what people will do for free. OK, I know we were there too, because it was free. The difference is that we didn't push anyone over. We didn't argue or complain about what we didn't get for free. And we didn't take things out of other peoples hands. It's amazing to me to see what people will do for something such as a free piece of candy. At times I had to stand back and wonder about society. Now, I know in this economy that times are tough and free definitely fits into my budget, but there are things that are just not worth loosing your dignity for. We took our kids for the experience, the scenery and the time to spend with family. We enjoyed it. None of them got too bent out of shape at what they didn't receive. They just had fun.

I went in realizing that my kid might come away empty handed. I knew that there was a very good possibility that we would be spending money somewhere on the way home to make sure that some of the kids expectations were met. I don't think that my kid is much different than other kids would have been in that respect. So, I'm guessing that a lot of other parents also spent money on they way home. So, I wonder why we have to worry so much about what our children didn't get for free, if we're spending money on them anyway.

I think it's an interesting thing to watch. I hope it helps me keep things in perspective, and sane. We had the experience, now I don't think we will have to again. It's all for the children, right?

(Sorry I don't have pictures. I left my camera in Logan. Besides, it was over before I could have taken any pictures!)

No comments:

Post a Comment