Wednesday, March 24, 2010

DOG!

*Day 112*

I'll admit, I was terrified of dogs when I was little. Our neighbors had a big German Shepherd that would get loose. I don't think it was known for being very nice, because we sure were scared of it. I remember our friend running around the side of the house, yelling that a dog was coming. We all jumped up on top of the car in the garage. We yelled so much that my mom came out to see what was wrong. I guess it's a good thing my mom wasn't scared of dogs or I don't know how long we would have had to stay on the car. Now, I won't admit to being a dog lover, but I'm not terrified of them anymore. I can handle dogs. When I'm out running, I'm still very cautious of strange, loose dogs. But I've never had to climb up on someones car.

But, Logan on the other hand has developed a tremendous fear of dogs. On the way home from school this fall, he got bit by a dog. A girl was playing with it in their front yard. She threw the ball and it went in the gutter. When the dog ran past Matt and Logan, it just bit Logan on the leg. He was wearing long pants, so it didn't do any damage. But, he has been afraid of dogs ever since. (Not that I can blame him.) He says he hates dogs.

A couple of weeks ago, we were on our way home from school when two dogs came running down the street. I didn't know these dogs so I was on my guard, but just went on. They didn't look scary. I figured if we just crossed the street they would leave us alone. I positioned myself between the dogs and Logan, because I know how he feels about dogs. I thought he would be fine. But he was crying almost hysterically before we got across the street. The dogs didn't even follow us across the street. I felt bad for the kid.

Our new neighbors have a small dog. It's run out of the house towards us a few times. But, it hasn't seemed to bother Logan much. It's really well behaved, and seems more scared of us. Logan talks to it through the fence. Today we were walking up the driveway after school. The dog ran out of the backyard- toward the door- not toward us. I didn't think anything of it because I didn't feel the least bit threatened. But, all of the sudden Logan was climbing up me crying. I think the dog took him surprise, and it, apparently, really scared him. The neighbor felt bad, but we explained Logan's deep fear of dogs. Then we laughed when Logan wasn't looking. No wonder he's a cat person.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate.... I got bit by a dachsund ON THE NOSE (of all places) when I was 19- I've never been the same! You are a good mom for recognizing his fear. Hopefully he'll get over it one day. :)

    ReplyDelete