Monday, March 22, 2010

Backyard Freinds: Snakes

*Day 110*

I'm not really sure that I would call snakes friends. I don't really have anything against them, but I don't think they're cute and cuddly either. I don't mind them, but I'm not going to seek them out to play with.

Last year our land lady (at 91 yrs. old) decided to take out the wood fence in the backyard. These snakes are what turned up where the fence was. I was surprised, and kind of creeped out, to see how big they were. I would have thought that any snake living in our yard would have been maybe a foot long and as big around as my finger. These guys were much bigger than that! I guess they're good to have around if they keep pests away, and we never have to see them.

Because I'm talking about snakes, I have some random snake stories.

When I was little, we had a couple of little red tricycles. Me and Renae were riding them around our house one day. We got off the dirt road and noticed that the rubber on one of the wheels had fallen off. We went walking around the house to see if could find it. We were on the dirt road, when we thought we saw a snake. It wasn't a snake, but the rubber from our tire. I remember Renae holding it up in the air, and us laughing so hard at it. I don't know what was so funny about it, I just remember standing there laughing with Renae.

We were walking with our daycare kids to the park when we saw a snake. Of course we had to stop and watch it. Some of the kids were "trying" to catch it. It was trying to avoid us. There was a pipe that went under the sidewalk. The snake was heading for it, we thought to escape. Then, at the last second it came up on the sidewalk right were I was standing. I moved out of the way. The next day when I went to Lynn's they had taught Jessica (who was almost 2) to tell people about the snake. She would go around and tell people, "Kristy freak out!" Then we were hiking with them. I was stopped taking a picture when they all came running toward me yelling something. Next thing I know, something wet and slimy is wrapping around my arm. I didn't know what it was. I had the wrist strap of my camera around my wrist. I jumped so hard that my wrist strap broke off of my camera and my camera went flying. Then I heard what they were saying. They found a snake skin. They wanted me to "freak out", so they threw it at me.

We were walking home from school with one of the neighbor boys. Him and Logan stopped and were playing with something they found in a yard. The neighbor was saying it was a rope and was trying to break it. When I caught up to them, I looked at it. I said, "I think that might be a snake." The neighbor looked at me like I was crazy. Then I looked closer and said, "Yeah, that's eyes, and a head." He looked at it and tossed it away really fast. It was a dead snake. Then he "freaked out" when his backpack string touched his arm. I laughed.

There's my snake stories. I wouldn't say that I'm afraid of snakes. I know that most of the ones I run into can't hurt me. I just choose to stay away from them and would prefer not to touch them.

No comments:

Post a Comment