Friday, March 19, 2010

D'oh! A Deer! A Female Deer!

*Day 107*

Maybe I'm a geek, but I like watching animals. I can just get fascinated by wild animals. I took a bird watching class in college. (It was a required class, and I wasn't really looking forward it.) I became obsessed with birds. This winter I have become obsessed with the deer that hang out in our neighborhood. We've seen their tracks in the snow, but it was a while before we had a deer sighting. Then, we figured out where they spend a lot of time. Every day on the way to school we look for them. They have been there pretty consistently for the past couple of weeks. I wanted to take a picture of them, but it's hard. They blend in so well to the background. If it weren't for their white noses, tails or ears twitching, we probably wouldn't even see them half of the time. It really amazes me how well mother nature works.

This week we saw something new. We saw a buck. We've seen a lot of does, but nothing with horns. We saw one this week. And it had pretty good sized horns. I started to wonder if they were down here nesting, and if there were any fawns around. Today, we were watching the deer and one of our neighbors came out and told us there were three in her backyard. She invited us to go back and look. We went back, and they had baby deer! It was just neat to see them all. There were at least 2 buck, 4 foes and 2 fawns. Then we watched them jump the fence. It's awesome how easy they make it look. So, I admit I've been a little obsessed with the deer (maybe especially when I woke Logan up early this morning because you could them from our driveway-he didn't mind), but I just think they're neat.

I did take some pictures. Some aren't great. But here are a couple for you to look at.

My camera doesn't do close up very good. But there are two on the ground in the back corner. They blend in very well.



This is the buck. You can see part of his horns.

2 comments:

  1. My family makes fun of me when I get so excited about seeing wildlife. You make me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and my mom would make great animal watching buddies!

    ReplyDelete