Friday, April 30, 2010

The Rottweilers

*Day 149*


My brother-in-law bought a couple of Rottweilers. Now, if you're a faithful follower of my blog, you will know that, as a kid, I was terrified of dogs. Now I can handle them without running away screaming, but I wouldn't consider my self a dog person. Well, my sister and her family were going out of town. They needed someone to take care of their dogs. Their dogs scared me. They were big and mean looking. I didn't know them well, which is scary in itself. But, me and Matt lived just a few blocks away so we agreed to take care of their dogs while they were gone. I just hoped nothing went wrong. I didn't know if I would able to handle these dogs if something did. We went over so they could show us what we needed to do. Sherry didn't feel super comfortable with dogs either. She showed us how she fed them without getting too close. She took a PVC pipe, stuck one end through the fence into their dish and then poured the food through the pipe. That looked like a good idea to me. I was a fan of not having to get too close to their cage. So, every morning on the way to work and every night on the way home, me and Matt stopped to feed and water the dogs. Everything went fine. Until.... a couple of days before they were supposed to come home, we had a problem. We got there to feed them, and the dogs had turned over their water dish. We couldn't leave them without water, so we had to turn it over somehow. Opening or entering the cage were out of the question. So we needed another solution. Thank goodness we had the feeding pipe. Matt distracted them with the hose. They were really thirsty so they stood in the corner of the cage trying to drink out of the hose. But, I didn't know how long they would be distracted by that. I used to pipe the push the dish over to the side of the cage. Then, as fast as I could, I reached in and flipped it right side up. And got out fast. It was scary. But, we did it and the dogs were fine. I bet if anyone was watching us, they got a good laugh. Just try to picture it. It makes me laugh.

1 comment: