Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Bike Story

*Day 126*


I was fixing the flat tires on our bikes today, hoping that we will be able to ride them soon. While I was doing that I was thinking about bikes. I was thinking about one story in particular, but now that I'm sitting here, I'm remember 3 or 4 other bike stories that I've told to Logan. Hmmmmm.... might have to do another bike blog. But, for today, I'll just bore you with one bike story.

This story is the reason that I always tell people that I'm running or walking with that they shouldn't blindly follow me across the street, but check for themselves whether they think they can make it. Me and my sister Renae were riding our bikes to the school during the summer for cross country practice. We were getting close so we crossed the street. (So, we were riding our bikes on the opposite side of the street we should have.) Renae was behind me. We came to an intersection. There was a car stopped there waiting to make a right hand turn. I started crossing the street in front of it. About halfway across, I realized that the lady in the car had no idea we were there. Then I realized that she could go at any time. I started going faster to get out of the road, and hoped Renae would follow my lead. I don't think I had time to say anything. Renae was almost past her when she started to go. The car hit Renae's back tire and knocked her down. The lady stopped and got out of her car to see if Renae was OK. Renae just jumped up, grabbed her bike, and started to go. She didn't want to talk to this lady. The lady asked if we needed a ride somewhere. Renae declined. The lady got our number so she could call, and come pick up the bike to get it fixed. We assured we would be fine, and went on our way. The tire on Renae's bike was bent. It was only a few blocks to the school, so we walked our bikes the rest of the way. Renae's tire was so bent it wouldn't turn. So, she pretty much dragged it to the school, and by the time we got there, there was a huge hole worn in her tire. Well, she was really OK, so we decided to ham it up a bit. When we got to the school, I hurried to tell coach (very dramatically) that Renae got hit by a car. Her leg was cut up and bleeding. Coach immediately gave her more attention then she wanted. He had a rag that he ran into the sprinklers to get wet so he could clean up her leg. The best part was that we got to make Sherry worry. Our teammates lived right across the street from the high school. After practice we dragged our bikes over there to call our mom to come get us. My mom wasn't home. We (again very dramatically) told my sister our story, and that she would have to come and get us. And, she would have to bring the van so we could put our bikes in it. She hated driving the van. But, she did it because she was worried about Renae, and we all made it home fine that time.

The lady came and took the bike to get it fixed. Renae healed. And I pay alot more attention to cars when I am crossing the street.

1 comment: