Saturday, August 7, 2010

Our Garden

*Day 247*

Since about everything I've done today has revolved around our garden, I thought I would blog about it.

We have some wonderful neighbors who have a large garden area and not much time to take care of it. So, for the past few years they have shared their garden space with us. It has been wonderful. We have learned a lot. Both about gardening and canning and storing the food that comes from it. It's been a blessing in our lives. Logan loves to come "help" in the garden. Usually he ends up climbing their enormous tree or playing in the irrigation water. But, he does like to pick the vegetables, and he loves to eat them. Sometimes straight from the garden. (If you have a kid that's not fond of vegetables, plant a garden. I really think that kids love to eat the food when they help grow it.)

This year in our garden we have peas, onions, tomatoes, swiss chard, peppers, eggplant (it's our first try with that, it almost froze in the spring, not sure if it will produce anything or not, we'll see), green beans, beets, spinach, lettuce, carrots, corn, cantaloupe, zucchini, crookneck squash, butternut squash, and delicata squash (it taste like sweet potatoes),and pumpkins. But, out of all that, it's the weeds that we really excel at growing.

Today me and Logan made dilly beans for the fair. We picked our beets (and a whole bunch of weeds). Right now my pickled beets are cooking. Then we only have carrots, pumpkins, more beans and corn left to do. (I shouldn't have written that out, it made it sound like a lot.) Last year we used our corn to make mexicorn. It was awesome for stuffed peppers.

Here are some pictures of our garden that we took while testing out our new camera.




3 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you have onions in your garden... don't you hate onions!?!? ;) I really excel at growing weeds too... we have dandelions in our grass and weeds all through the rock... I'm so good they don't even need a garden to grow in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love your garden! It reminds me of the garden my family had at our house in Orem. Love the picture of Logan in the garden! As for the weeds - hey, anything that grows in your garden is something to be proud of, right? Well, maybe not weeds...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are onions in our garden. I didn't say I planted them. Remember, we share our garden with our nieghbors? The onions are theirs.

    ReplyDelete