Monday, June 14, 2010

Polebridge: Our Home Away From Home

*Day 194*

We went to Glacier National Park last week with my mom and dad and Lynn's family. We had a good time. We rented a cabin in Polebridge to stay in. Polebridge was a little town(?). There was a little store, the Polebridge Mercantile, a Hostel, and a whole neighborhood of cabins. From what we could tell most of the cabins were empty while we were there. We wondered if anyone lived in Polebridge year round. It was in the forests of Montana, 22 miles from the Canadian border, and you accessed it on "partially paved" roads. I'm not sure I would want to be up there in the winter.


This is the cabin. It was really cute and comfortable. And we were glad to be in it seeing as how it rained about every day.


This is the outhouse. Mom was really disappointed to see this. The information she got said there was one bathroom. I don't care if you do think this is "the cutest outhouse in Polebridge" that doesn't make it a bathroom. And I'd rather have good smelling than cute. (But at least it wasn't a bush.)


Logan and Jessica in the living room. The table was used mainly to play boggle and look at maps of the park to plan our adventures.


The kitchen and dining area. And the wood burning stove. It heated the place quite nicely. (Not the we really needed it much.) We also used it to heat water and cook our tin foil dinners in.


This is up in the loft. It was fine going up, but looking at the stairs coming down I was nervous. The hand rail only came part way up the stairs and it was completely open on the other side. Lynn laughed at me until she tried to come down.


Here is the kitchen. This is where we cooked. (Sorry, I couldn't think of anything to say about it, and it just seemed to need more.)


This is the cubby under the stairs where me and Logan slept. There were no beds next to each other, and he didn't want to sleep by himself, so we put a cushion on the floor and he slept by me. The bed was really comfortable. I slept well, just not for long enough.


This is the sauna house/bath house. I'd never been in a sauna before. I'm not sure what I think about it. It's hot. I think I'd prefer a hot tub. We also used this for our bath house when the "bathroom" that was advertised turned out to be an outhouse.


Logan and Jessica loved this chair. They played with it all the time. Logan ended up sleeping on this cushion on the floor beside my bed. He was scared to sleep anywhere else. He thought the cabin was creepy. But only at night. He loved it the rest of the time.


HMMM.... maybe this is why Logan thought the cabin was creepy. Just after we got there, Logan called to me from the loft. He told me he needed me to come and see something. When I went up there, he showed me this and asked in a voice that was serious and maybe a little nervous, "Is this blood?" Now why didn't he want to sleep in the loft? (And, no, I don't think it was blood. It matched the paint on one of the walls. That's what we told the kids we thought it was. It could be a pretty good joke by someone tough.)


Logan and Jessica chopping pine cones. They like to help.... or play with the ax. Yeah, play with the ax. (They were supervised, see, I'm taking a picture.)


Logan resting on the couch. We got back to the cabin late and he just lied (is that the right usage, mom? I was tired in the car, I can't remember what you said.) on the couch while we made dinner. But, don't mistake this for being tired, he was never tired the whole time we were gone. Even in the car at 11:00 at night. Yeah, right, I don't believe it Logan.


Here we are roasting our marshmallows. We really didn't do our cook out super early so we could put the kids in bed. This was about 9:30 at night. It just didn't get dark there until really late.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pictures of your trip! Thanks for sharing them! As for the outhouse...um, I think I'd rather just hold it until I got home!

    ReplyDelete