Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Fishing Pole

*Day 192*


Our preschool kids will tell us stories all the time. But, it seems like the most popular time to tell stories is at circle time. You know, the time that I am supposed to be teaching them. We usually give them some time to talk about stuff, like vacations, holidays, their birthday party, their ouches, the kind of stuff they like to talk about. Sometimes it's hard to get them to stop so that I can have a turn. And I really do like to hear their stories. But, sometimes it's hard to listen to them all. Because they are all talking at the same time, or they are talking to me while I am talking to someone else. I have learned that they need to be acknowledged when they tell a story. Sometimes that's hard to do when they are all taking at once. I try to say something to each of them as they all talk at the same time. I've learned (for better or worse) that you don't have to be specific in your comment. Just an Uh,huh, wow, neat, really, will do. The are happy that you heard, and you can address all 8 children that are talking to you at once. Unless it backfires on you. Like it did me.

It was one of those days. Everyone had something tell. They were all so excited that they were talking at once. I was throwing out my "oh, cool, really". Then I heard Ella say, "And my dad's fishing pole broke." It was out of my mouth before I could stop it. "That's nice." I knew it wasn't. Whoops! She had this hurt look on her face, when she looked at me and said, "No it wasn't." I knew that, but I didn't know how to explain why I said that. Now, I try harder to make sure the kids talk one at a time so I can give real, sincere comments.

1 comment:

  1. I hate when that happens, when you give a response that ends up being completely inappropriate for what has just been said to you. And there's no way to correct it. It's just awful!

    ReplyDelete