Saturday, October 9, 2010

Happy Birthday Lynn!

*Day 310*
Happy Birthday Old Lady Lynn!

Lynn has this neat trick hair in the morning.  And, I hear, that if you push it down, her leg comes up.

Lynn is 40 years old!  My big sister, 40!  Whoa!  Holy cow!  She's getting old.  She's 40!

Well, Lynn has been my big sister for as long as I can remember.  And for about that same length of time Lynn has also been my idol.  She was good at everything.  She was smart.  She was good at sports.  She..... well, that's really all I cared about.  I wanted to be like that too.   So, I tried to be like Lynn.  She was on the high school basketball team when I was in elementary school  (yes, she's that old).  She used to run around the neighborhood for conditioning for basketball.  So, I started tagging along.  And She was nice enough to let me.  She helped learn me learn the basic skills I needed to be able to compete in sports.  She still helps me.  Just last year in region basketball after I missed my first shot, she told me what I needed to do to make it.  I went 4 for 4 after that.  (Of course, the next day when we played her team, she didn't give me any advice.) 

We've done a lot of stuff together through the years.  We've logged many miles together and had conversations on all sorts of things.  From comparing and contrasting Charles Dickens, to the gospel, to rehashing last nights softball game.  It's always been interesting, educational, testimony building, thought provoking and uplifting. 

I planned to come to Utah State when I graduated high school.  I had no friends coming up here.  Me and Lynn planned on being roommates.  I was so excited because we were going to have so much fun.  Then, she got married.  I had to move into a dorm with 5 people I'd never even seen before.  But having Lynn close by was still very comforting.  We still did "stupid" things together and she was there when I needed her.  When I wanted to visit home so badly, but didn't have a way to get there.  Me and Lynn walked to the grocery store to get ice cream, then we ordered pizza and I slept over at her house.  And I felt really bad when I got a job and moved to Salt Lake right after her husband died.  I wished I could have stayed for her.

When we moved back to Logan Lynn started babysitting Logan.  I was kind of sad that she took him to the Library for the first time or that they always went to the park.  But, I was glad that Lynn was taking care of him because I know she loved him and that he was safe.  Lynn is such a caring person.  She doesn't think about herself first.  After she married Darrell she asked me if I wanted to come work with her.  There aren't very many people out there that would willingly cut their pay in half so that someone else could have a job where they could be with their child all day and have a schedule that works for them.  But Lynn did.  It amazes me because I'm not sure I would be selfless enough to do that for someone else. 

I have been blessed to have Lynn for a sister and friend.  She is such a good example to me.  She still offers me excellent advice and is a source of strength to me.  I love Lynn for everything she is and stands for.  And I'm glad she takes my teasing too.  YOU ARE SO OLD!!!  I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE 40!   Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

  1. She is a really great preschool teacher too. One of a pair of awesome women that have taught my boys a lot. Thanks ladies, and Happy Birthday Lynn!

    ReplyDelete