Monday, February 1, 2010

Backyard Friends: Ducks

*Day 61*

I saw these ducks in the tree next door. Not these exact ducks. I walked out the door and a bird flew over my head. The way it was flying I knew it was a duck. Then it surprised me by landing in the tree. I'd never seen a duck in a tree. It happened a couple more times. Same looking duck, same branch in the same tree. I was never able to get a picture, so I just stared at it, noting it's markings so I could look it up. Then, I went out the zoo to see if I could find these ducks. It's the Mandarin Duck. Not native to this area, and they are perching ducks which would explain why they were in a tree. I guess that's why I'd never seen a duck perch, they're not native to here.

During the summer Logan had swim lessons in the morning. After swimming, we would ride our bike from the pool to Lynn's for work. We would go along 400 West so we could follow the canal. It was scenic. One day we saw a beaver. We always counted the ducks. One day we counted 89 ducks in the four blocks.

Around town, we have also seen a flock of wild peacocks, and a wild turkey. I enjoy watching our fine feathered friends.

3 comments: