Friday, January 8, 2010

No Dull Days at Daycare

*Day 37*
OK, so fellow 365 day blogger Luann does daycare too. I made the stupid mistake on commenting on one of her posts that I could do with a boring day at daycare. Why do I curse myself?! Of course, after I say that we had a day that was anything but boring. I was ready to call it a day and go back to bed by about 10:00. (We only start preschool at 9:30.) So as you read this, don't think we don't love our kids. Don't think we don't pay attention to them or take good care of them. Just remember that kids are kids, and some days are like this. And it may be worse than average if you have 8 or more kids 4 and under.

It started when I was helping Owen put some things away. I turned around and felt my knee hit something. That's when I noticed Grace down on the floor picking something up. I felt bad. I just kneed her in the back. I felt so bad. I tried to console her as she cried that her back hurt. (I'm sure it did, that shot probably would have made me cry.) For some reason she didn't seem to feel better about it with me there. I do love Grace, you just need to know that before I go on. Once a week we go the the assisted living center and have singing time with our Grandfriends. The kids love it, and so do the grandfriends. We were walking down to grandfriends in a fresh dusting of snow. Grace was holding my hand as she "skated" along. Right before we got to grandfriends, she slipped and fell. So, I bent down to help her up....and stepped on her fingers! Oh my gosh! She looked at me like I was trying to hurt her. That's when I suggested that she stay close to Lynn the rest of the day, and I go back to bed.

So, the kids are having fun at grandfriends. Owen has a big smile on his face as he walks toward us with his hands in his pockets. The next thing we know, he's on this face on the tile floor. He hit so hard, that by the time he looked up (maybe a second later) he already had a bruise and a pretty good bump. I have never seen a goose egg happen that fast before. Lynn took Owen to take care of him, and I stayed with the rest of the kids while we finished our program. But, then I was really scared watching them run around. I didn't want someone else to end up like Owen. So, here's another reason Grace hates me today. She was doing this funky dance, and when she stopped, she was swaying like she was dizzy. I was picturing her falling, and ending up with a huge bump on her head too. So I told her she had to stop. Well, I hurt her feelings and she cried all the way home that she wanted her mom.



Can't get worse, right? I should have gone home.

We get back to Lynn's, and I'm just watching Owen, ready to catch him in case he falls. All of the kids head downstairs to hang their coats up. Owen started to follow, when I stopped him. I really didn't want him to fall again so I didn't want him on the stairs alone. I went down to help the kids with their things, and Camry was crying. She fell down the stairs!

I decided that I'm definitely going home early. I didn't go soon enough. I figured if tomorrow was going to be like today, I'd better get everything for tomorrow ready before I go home. So, I was sitting down on the bench to work. The problem was that Jessica leaned over the bench just as I was swinging my foot over it. I kicked her in the head. I think I need to go to bed early tonight. I hope I still have a job and kids that like me in the morning.

I've never had a day like this before. It's usually crazy in other ways. I think I like them better. I don't like being the problem.


By the way, Owen is fine. His mom took him to the doctor. They said he looked fine. But, they said he might have an ear infection, and they gave him some drops and pulled a huge chunk of wax out of his ear. The nurse said maybe that's why he fell. Makes me feel a bit better.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kristy, what are the odds? You poor dear, all that happening on the same day. Good thing kids are so resilient. I think your daycare sounds so fun.

    ReplyDelete