Monday, December 28, 2009

Grandma Anderson

*Day 26*


Today would be my Grandma's birthday. She was a great lady, and a good example. She raised her seven kids by herself, and did an amazing job. She was aways busy doing something because she was a hard worker. She lived by the saying "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." She used a lot of things to make crafts and did a lot of quilting. For our 14th birthday, we would get pillowcases that she had embroidered. At 16 I got a quilt she made. She made an afghan for us when we graduated high school and a quilt for our weddings. Every Christmas she would give all of us a homemade ornament. And I have other things that she had made. A jewelry box, necklace, dolls. I treasure the things that I have from her. I also treasure the memories I have of her and the hard working lady she was. I hope that I could be the kind of woman she was.

One of my favorite memories was at her funeral. I guess it wasn't really a memory of her, just about her. After the graveside service, the pall bearers were putting their boutonnieres on the casket. Before my Uncle Curtis put his down he took out the pin and said, "You better keep the pins, mom would need them something." It rang so true. Never throw anything out if you could use it. And those were nice, big pins, they could definitely be used for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment