Monday, November 29, 2010

It's Nice To Be Loved

*Day 361*

Sometimes it's nice to feel loved.  I work at my sister Lynn's house.  She has this adorable little girl that I've seen just about every day of her life.  (Now if seeing your aunt every day of your life isn't just the coolest thing ever, I don't know what is.... j/k.)  Jessica is, well, Jessica, and I love the girl, but sometimes I'm glad I don't have to take her home with me.  She's 3, what more do I have to say.  But, somedays, I would do anything for her.  I mean she loves her aunt (me)!  When I left today she gave me a hug, kiss and the electric "I love you" sign.  Then she told me to come back again.  I told her I'd come back tomorrow.  And she got excited!  Like I don't come back every day.  One day not too long ago, one of the kids left while Jessica was in the bathroom.  She heard me tell them goodbye when they went out the door.  She started crying and throwing a fit because she thought I left and she didn't get to hug me or tell me to come back.  When I yelled to her I was still there, she calmed down.  It's really sweet to feel so loved.  But this new one takes the cake. 

But this has to start with... Backstory!  When I was three I nearly choked to death.  Here is my version of the story.  Put together from what I remember in my unconscious state and what I have heard over and over through the years.  We'd been grocery shopping.  We got home and Renae, who was a baby, was hungry.  So was I, but being the middle child, no one cared about that.  (Just kidding, that's for you mom!)  Anyway, mom, was feeding the baby.  (I don't hold anything against Renae.)  I just got too hungry, so I decided to do something about it.  We had bought this loaf of bread at the store.  I took a big bite out of it.  Then, I choked on it.  My mom was still feeding the baby.  Sherry, bless her, noticed something was wrong, and went to tell mom that I was turning blue.  Mom came and got me.  She tried to get the bread out, but couldn't.  She started to call 911, then I passed out and she had to stop dialing the number to catch me.  This was old rotary phone times, so she had to start dialing again.  Still she couldn't get the bread out.  She put her finger in my mouth, and I bit it!  Then, she remembered this new thing that they had just learned in Relief Society.  So, she tried the Heimlich maneuver.  (Really, it was new!  I just figured people had always known the Heimlich maneuver.  How many people died from choking before they figured this out?  And, so glad my mom goes to Relief Society.)  Anyway, with my tiny unconscious body trying to slip out of her hands, she tried the Heimlich maneuver.  The bread finally popped out.  Then the neighbor came in to see what was going on because the paramedics were there but no one was opening the door.  I remember waking up.  My mom was sitting at the table, holding me, soaking her finger in a bowl of ice water.  I think that's when she cried.  I have always admired my mom's ability to get through a crisis with a calm head.  If she breaks down, it's always after everyone is OK and taken care of.  I hope that I inherited that quality from her.  And, I'm also glad I haven't been tested yet to see if I have it.  But, mostly, I am just grateful for mom for saving my life.  When I sit and think about what really could have happened in that situation.......  Well, I love my mom, and I'm glad I'm here today.  So, that's my backstory.

This weekend, Jessica and some of my other nieces and nephews were eating at my mom and dad's.  Jessica has this new bad habit of stuffing tons of food in her mouth.  And she doesn't like to sit still and eat.  (Ask Lynn, I'm very sensitive to the threat of choking.  I am always telling the kids to be careful so they don't choke.)  Anyway, Jessica was running around with food in her mouth, so my mom told the kids the story of when I almost choked to death.  (Logan loves to hear that story too.  It's one of his most requested.  Maybe he likes to see me cry.)  Well, that night when Jessica said her prayers, she stopped to ask Lynn if it was her mom that saved me, Lynn told her yes, so Jessica continued,  "Thanks for moms mom for saving Aunt Kirsty so she can be with us today."  Isn't that just sweetest thing you ever heard!  Yeah, sometimes it's just nice to know that you are so loved.   Electric "I love you"!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an experience for you!! I always worry about people choking to death. That was a really sweet prayer your niece gave!

    ReplyDelete