Saturday, January 8, 2011

Logan Gets Baptized

Logan turned 8 last month.  I can't believe he's so old.  So, he got to get baptized today.  We've been talking about this for a year now.  Asking him if he wants to gets baptized and trying to see what he really understands about it.  I've been impressed.  He understands a lot more about it than I did when I got baptized at 8.  (I don't think my parents did a bad job teaching me.  I think that in this day and age, kids have to be stronger and know more at a younger age than I did.  I believe Heavenly Father knows this and sends children who can live up to this challenge.)  I think I got baptized because I knew I was supposed to.  I tried to make sure that Logan felt like he had a choice, and I'm confident that he made his choice for the right reason. 

Logan had been excited and nervous about getting baptized.  This morning I could tell that because he never stopped talking.  He just jabbered on and on and on and on and on......  And he couldn't just sit at the table and eat his breakfast.  He kept getting up wandering as he told me stories about anything and everything.  And then when it was time to go to the church he got really quiet and serious looking.  He commented to his dad this morning, "Finally, I get to be a member of the church."   Him and his dad practiced a couple of times, and we left for the church.

We had some wonderful talks given to the children to be baptized.  I was taken back to my time living at home while mom played a musical number on the piano.  I remember when we would watch her play the organ in church.  We would watch for her make a mistake.  No one else ever knew that she had messed up.  We did, because we would see her shake her head in disgust.  I remembered that today, as I watched my mom pull faces as she played "I Am a Child of God".  It made me smile.  I thought the song was beautiful, and I'm glad she was willing to it.  I think it will make a special memory for Logan.

Then Logan got to be baptized.  The first time, his knee came up, so he had to do it again.  He made sure that he got it right the second time.  Then, the part he was excited for.  He got to be confirmed and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.  Matt gave a wonderful blessing.  Then the Bishop called on me bear my testimony.  He thinks he can pick on me because I'm the Young Women's President.  I told him it wasn't fair to make me talk today.  Logan and Matt just laughed because they knew I couldn't talk without crying.  Every time I looked at Logan, he rolled his eyes at me.  But, I finally choked out a few words.  After Sister Delaney, the Primary President, bore her testimony, the Bishop made some comments.  He always says such perfect things. 

It was a good day.  Wonderful to be able to feel the spirit and be to be reminded of the constant companionship we can have.  And, it's always wonderful to be able to spend time with family.  I love my family, on both sides, and am grateful for the love and support they give to us.  I'm glad they were there to share this special day with us. 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to Logan!! What a beautiful post about this special occasion!! I felt the spirit as I read this post- thanks for sharing about this wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome, special day for you, Matt and especially Logan!! I'm so proud of him!!

    ReplyDelete